Amy Winehouse’s 25 Favorite Songs
When you think about the icons who have left an indelible mark on the music world, Amy Winehouse and her iconic beehive hairstyle are bound to come to mind. As a trailblazer in the early 2000s, this soulful, jazz-loving Londoner blew away the competition with her raw and honest voice. But there’s so much more to Amy than her unforgettable style and powerful vocals.
Amy’s talent was undeniable from a young age. Despite her short career, she managed to release two critically acclaimed albums, ‘Frank’ and ‘Back to Black.’ The latter, a Grammy-winning masterpiece, showcased her incredible vocal range and her ability to fuse vintage sounds with her own biting storytelling. Her lyrical poetry, filled with heartache and raw emotion, struck a chord with listeners worldwide.
The late singer’s life, unfortunately, was marred by personal struggles and tragedy, which were often the subject of her music. She never shied away from expressing her vulnerability and pain, and in doing so, she became a voice for other lost and troubled souls. Through her music, Amy showed that it’s okay to be human, to have flaws, and to experience heartbreak.
Her musical taste was as diverse as her talent. Amy drew inspiration from legends like Carole King, Frank Sinatra, Aretha Franklin, Sarah Vaughan, Thelonious Monk, Ray Charles, and many more. It wasn’t just vocal jazz that shaped her unique sound; she learned from everything, including artists such as Pearl Jam and the Offspring. This eclectic mix of influences allowed Amy to create her own distinctive style, which continues to impact the music industry today.
With all that in mind, let’s dive into a playlist of Amy’s 25 favorite songs that she curated during her teenage years while studying at the Sylvia Young Theatre School and shared on her official Twitter account in 2020:
- The Mamas & the Papas – ‘Dream A Little Dream Of Me’
- Ella Fitzgerald – ‘On The Sunny Side of the Street’
- Ella Fitzgerald – ‘Someone to Watch Over Me’
- Frank Sinatra – ‘Fly Me to the Moon’
- Frank Sinatra – ‘Moon River’
- Ray Charles – ‘Georgia On My Mind’
- Ray Charles – ‘Hit the Road Jack’
- The Mickey Mouse Club – ‘(The) Mickey Mouse March’
- Nina Simone – ‘Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood’
- Julie London – ‘I Should Care’
- Ray Charles – ‘Unchain My Heart’
- The Offspring – ‘Self Esteem’
- Luscious Jackson – ‘Mood Swing’
- Ben Folds Five – ‘Brick’
- The Platters – ‘Only You’
- The Skyliners – ‘Since I Don’t Have You’
- Pearl Jam – ‘Alive’
- Curtis Mayfield – ‘Superfly’
- Isaac Hayes – ‘Theme From ‘Shaft”
- Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong – ‘Love Is Here to Stay’
- LaBelle – ‘Lady Marmalade’
- The Mickey Mouse Club – ‘Walking the Dog’
- Edwin Starr – ‘War’
- Carole King – ‘So Far Away’
- Louis Armstrong – ‘What a Wonderful World’
So, Amy Winehouse’s favorite songs give us a glimpse into her musical influences and the broad range of styles that shaped her own unique sound. It’s no wonder that her legacy continues to inspire generations of artists. So, fellow rock music lovers and readers, sit back, put on your headphones, and enjoy this incredible playlist curated by the legendary Amy Winehouse herself. You’ll be transported back in time, feeling the passion and love she had for music and the artists who came before her.