The Tragic End Of Sid Vicious From Sex Pistols

The Sex Pistols bassist Sid Vicious was undoubtedly one of the most well-known figures of the punk scene despite the fact that his tenure with the legendary band lasted for only three years, however, was filled with numerous notorious incidents most of which led him to be arrested for a few times and ultimately he brought his ending at an incredibly young age with the unbeaten addiction of his, heroin.

As some of you might know, Sid Vicious was asked to join the Sex Pistols after the band’s bassist, Glen Matlock’s departure in February 1977, and played his first gig with the band on 3 April 1977 at The Screen On The Green in London. The reason why Vicious was so present in the punk scene was solely based on his image that perfectly embodied the punk look rather than his abilities for music since he had no experience of playing the bass guitar let alone playing it well.

Furthermore, Vicious only played bass on the track, ‘Bodies,’ in the band’s debut album, ‘Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols’ which was released on October 28, 1977, however, it was overdubbed later on by guitarist Steve Jones who played the biggest portion of bass guitar in the record. The bassist was also missing during the recording sessions due to the fact that he was in the hospital with hepatitis most likely due to intravenous drug use.

Despite lacking musical talent and being unable to maintain his life according to the band mostly because of his substance addiction, there’s no doubt that Sid Vicious was an icon for punk music according to most fans wince he had the spirit, the look, and the attitude that was needed. Nevertheless, the young musician got involved with the murder of his girlfriend as well as assaulting people in nightclubs all of which in addition to his addiction tragically brought his ending. Let’s dig deeper into the story of the embodiment of the punk esthetic.

Sid Vicious Died After Overdosing On Heroin

Only after seven months of joining the Sex Pistols, Sid Vicious met Nancy Spungen and they almost immediately began dating and their relationship was often mentioned with domestic violence and drug abuse. The couple moved to New York City and checked into the Hotel Chelsea, in which they spent much of their time abusing drugs, heroin to be more specific.

While their relationship was going downhill from that on, their addiction caused both of the young lovers’ lives as Spungen was found dead in the bathroom of the couple’s room, with a single stab wound to the abdomen in October 1978. The Sex Pistols bassist was accused of his girlfriend’s murder, however, was released on bail. Sid Vicious had no intention of behaving as he soon was arrested once again in December 1978 for attacking the brother of Patti Smith at a nightclub with a broken bottle, yet, got away with his actions and made bail again on February 1, 1979.

On the evening of the same day, February 1, 1979, Sid Vicious passed away at the young age of 21 sometime in the night from a heroin overdose and was discovered early the next morning by his mother, Anne Beverley, who later claimed that her son and late girlfriend made a suicide pact after finding a handwritten note in the pocket of Vicious’ leather jacket following his cremation. Despite it’s unclear if the lovers made a deal on killing themselves, the tragic ending of theirs at really young ages has always been one of the most devastating stories in music history.