The Tragic Detail About Freddie Mercury’s Final Days

There are several tragic deaths in rock and roll history, from suicides and murders to plane crashes. These passing have devastated millions of fans all over the world, and they continue to do so today. These unfortunate events especially affect fans when they are untimely, meaning that their beloved artists died way younger than expected.

These early deaths include one of the greatest frontmen in the history of rock music as well. The Queen lead singer Freddie Mercury passed away on the evening of November 24 1991, due to bronchial pneumonia resulting from AIDS at the young age of 45.

While there are numerous tragic aspects of his death, we’re here to break down one of the most touching moments before his passing. Let’s take a look at the time when the singer wasn’t able to walk on his own in his final days, which foreshadowed his near-ending.

Freddie Mercury Was Carried Out Of His Death Bed

During his final days, Freddie Mercury was surrounded by ‘the love of his life,’ Mary Austin, his partner Jim Hutton, and his former partner Joe Fanelli. The musician was also constantly visited by close friend Dave Clarke and long-term PA and friend Peter Freestone.

Peter Freestone opened up about the final days of Freddie Mercury during an interview with Express. Apparently, the musician was too weak to walk on his own but wanted to bid farewell to his house and his artwork. Therefore, his bodyguard and chauffeur Terry Giddings carried him downstairs.

According to Peter, Mercury was strong enough to walk around his sitting room as long as one of them supported him. The singer commented on some of his artworks one last time. Peter recalled that although the atmosphere in the house was quiet due to Mercury’s deteriorating health, he ‘remained the Freddie we knew until the end.’

According to Express, Peter said:

“Freddie was downstairs in Garden Lodge on November 20, as he wanted to see some of his artworks for one last time. Terry carried him down the stairs, but he walked around the sitting room and Japanese room, with one of us supporting him.

He commented on how and when he had acquired a few of the pieces. Of course, there was a quiet atmosphere in the house during those last days, but Freddie remained the Freddie we knew until the end.”

It’s not surprising to hear that Freddie Mercury was interested in his artwork even in his final days when he was physically weak and tired. Fortunately for him, he was surrounded by caring people who were willing to give him what he needed even when it was challenging for them to witness.